Class A Player of the Week
- Greg Elliott 6-4 Sr Detroit East English Village: He could be the backcourt equivalent of Yante Maten, who like Elliott didn’t have big offers after playing on the EYBL but parlayed a monster senior year into a scholarship to Georgia, where he’s now a sophomore star. With his Family teammate Amauri Hardy committing to Oklahoma State, Elliott becomes the state’s highest ranked unaccounted for senior. He scored 46 points in an 82-72 defeat of Flint Beecher.
Class A Underclassman of the Week
- Davis Lukomski 6-6 So Novi Catholic Central: Anyone who saw his MVP performance at the Bank Hoops Underclassman All-State Camp in July wasn’t surprised by Lukomski’s varsity debut. He made 7-of-12 shots, including three from three-point range, to lead CC with 20 points as they beat Farmington.
Class B Player of the Week
- Jalen Miller 6-3 Sr Lake Fenton: One of the state’s top unsigned seniors brought the house Friday beating Flint Hamady with 34 points, 17 rebounds and a sweet behind-back fastbreak dime.
Class B Underclassman of the Week
- Jobe Long 5-11 Fr Bay City John Glenn: He was the varsity QB in the fall as a ninth-grader, so the big lights didn’t faze Long against Essexville Garber. He had 15 points and 10 assists in a 56-41 win.
Class C Player of the Week
- Carson Wonders 6-4 Sr Iron Mountain: It was one of the greatest shooting displays in state history. In less than three full quarters against Gwinn, Wonders made 12-of-13 three-pointers and scored 43 total. A dozen three-pointers ties him for the third most prolific game in the state record book. He’ll play next year for Northern Michigan.
Wow, that’s impressive. That’s more than impressive. I’ve never seen anything like that 12 for 13. Some were guarded, some were wide open, some were transition and someone got him the ball, some were deep. It was a good night. — Iron Mountain coach Bucky Johnson
Class C Underclassman of the Week
- Ben Affholter 6-2 Fr Reading: Widebody forward was a force on the glass as Reading picked up a pair of wins over Camden-Frontier and Litchfield. Affholter had games of 16 points and 15 rebounds and 16 points and 9 rebounds.
Class D Player of the Week
- Gunnar Libby 5-9 Sr Hillman: He surpassed the 1,000 career point mark with a 30-point, 8 rebound, 6 assist effort against Cedarville. Libby followed that up with 25 points and 7 steals against Atlanta as Hillman improved to 2-0.
Class D Underclassman of the Week
- Daniel Jacobs 6-2 Fr Athens: Making his high school debut in a win against Climax-Scotts, Jacobs had 21 points, 7 rebounds and 5 steals.